At least 13 people died in the South American countries of Ecuador and Peru on Saturday after an earthquake – others were trapped under rubble.
The US Geological Survey measured the magnitude 6.8 earthquake and reported it struck at a depth of just over 41 miles and about 6 miles from the town of Balao in Ecuador’s southern Guayas province, Reuters reported. Authorities said they don’t expect a tsunami to follow.
“Ecuadorian families are not alone. The national government is always there to offer you all its support,” Ecuador’s President Guillermo Lasso wrote on Twitter.
“The government has been activated on an emergency basis and those affected by this quake are receiving the necessary supplies,” the official spokesman for the Ecuadorian President tweeted.
The Associated Press reported that 12 deaths had been confirmed in Ecuador and 1 death had been reported in neighboring Peru. Peru’s Prime Minister Alberto Otárola said the victim in his country was a 4-year-old girl who died after her house collapsed near the border with Ecuador, according to the news agency.
This is an evolving story and will be updated.